Search This Blog

Friday, March 9, 2012

Rediscovering my passion for Photography

I have always liked to take pictures and found myself trying to capture that special moment that would deliver an emotional return. Unfortunately my skill level was amateurish and I only had enough knowledge to be dangerous. Equipment seemed to be the logical solution to my inability which has led me to purchase newer better and faster gear but I still lacked the understanding to know how to properly compose and take a great picture. Thats not to say I never captured good pictures, the problem was that when I did I couldn't tell you what I did to get them. This has sent me on a journey to figure it out and let me say its not easy.

My current camera is a Canon EOS 40D which is an entry level DSLR that I thought would be my holy grail when I bought it. Of course I was wrong and even though I managed to get more good shots than before, it was mostly because I could take a lot more pictures faster so I had more to choose from. There are so many features on this camera that I figured if I learn how to use the features it would deliver results. Canon has some decent resources available that explain what each button is and how to use them, now I am armed with more knowledge and must have new skills right! Wrong things went from bed to worse. It seemed like I could use two settings and all would be perfect these are aperture priority and shutter priority. When you read about them and watch the training videos it really produced outstanding pictures, now that is something I can do.

Not being one to give up, my search has continued and the thing I now know is equipment does not make a photographer. I'm not saying good equipment isn't a difference maker, but knowing how to set your shot up and what to do with the equipment is crucial. A great photographer can take outstanding pictures with any camera you put in their hands, an amateur will struggle especially with the best equipment money could buy.

In the coming months I will share with you my experience as I embark on becoming a decent photographer.

P.S. Below is a sample of where I am today, let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment