Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Grow bed liner installation.

Today is a very exciting day, I am installing the liners in my grow beds. I know that for most people this is probably not the most exciting thing but for me it represents the light at the end of the tunnel. We are so close to growing all our own veggies that I can almost taste them.

First step is to roll out the liner making sure you have enough slack on both ends, measure twice and cut once. This stuff is not cheep but its worth it to not have leaks. If you are interested in learning more about the liner I used then click here.

 The trickiest part is to fold the corners in such a way that you end up with a clean corner that keeps the liner from wrinkling and puckering. In the pictures to the right you can see the folded triangle pocket that is tucked on the backside of the liner.
Here is a view from the front side, note the liner must be cut to allow the excess material to be folded flat on the ledge of the grow bed.
Here is a completed corner, looks pretty good if I do say so myself. Don't be shy with the staples in the corners. It helps a lot to make sure things are secure. This reminds me of wrapping Christmas presents, I'm not very good at that either.

As you can see even when your careful its easy to get some wrinkles. Not to worry though because once its full of water and rafts I'm the only one who will know. Last step is to trim off the excess then cap the edges with a trim piece.


This has taken a lot longer that I thought but its satisfying to know that my hard work will have a great payout for me and my family. Next I will show how I add the plumbing to circulate the water throughout the system. If you want to see a real pro check out Friendly Aquaponics installation videos by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. Looks nice. That's a lot of weight, how is the bottom constructed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its 2X3 framing with 3/4" plywood sheeting. There will be approximately 150 gallons in the larger grow bed which is 1250 lbs. I filled it up on Sunday and all seems very solid.

      P.S. I'm glad you stopped in for a visit.

      Delete